Thursday, December 31, 2020

The Four Women of Begadan

 

I bought my house in Civrac-en-Medoc in 2017 but began to actually live here in 2018. I stayed for 3 months in 2018 and 3 months in 2019. I stayed through the vendange.

When I first came in town I had to establish a routine for my day. I had no scheduler to tell me where to go or no one to tell me what to wear or whom I would meet.

Coffee is the great starter for your day, so I began the 2 KM walk north to Begadan where I discovered Chez Joelle.  It is an episcerie which is like a 7-11 in the USA.  Since I speak limited French, I practiced my request standing outside. The store is only 3 meters wide and 15 meters long and social distancing and masking  make it necessary to be aware of other customers.

«Bonjour Madame, Je voudrais un café et une Choclatine et un Journal”. I must have been close enough to the proper French that they understood me. Whoever was working at the cash register would get me what I asked for. When I was especially feeling confident I would ask for a demi-baguette. I was routine enough that they would start the expresso machine when they saw me at the door.

The store is managed by Joelle, a woman who epitomizes what I was told was common among women in the French working world. She is always perfectly coiffured and dressed very attractively despite the fact that her job requires hauling produce around the store. There is a Dior touch to her style. Her scarf is always attractive.

It should be no surprise because she also runs a beauty salon called L’Indispensible which is entered through a door next to the onions and eggplant. At Christmas time this year I bought five scarfs from her shop to give to other local friends.  They were pleased by my selections.

D’Ange’lique is a quiet reserved attractive woman who deals with me with quiet efficiency.  I always wish when I come to coffee, I could start a conversation. But my French is very inadequate, so I am afraid to try. She is the one who introduced to the third female at Chez Joelle’s. I asked the name of the dog who is often there. She told me LOU LOU ‘s name so I could address the dog directly. I said, “Bonjour Monsieur, Lou Lou.” She corrected me and said, “MADAME Lou Lou.”

Lou Lou is an old basset hound who is always friendly and stands next to my chair as I drink my café and eat my Choclatine. I have had dogs for much of my life so I can tell when she wanted me to feed her.  But I learned never to feed from the table, so I began bringing doggie treats in my pocket. She is not always there when I come but, if she is, she makes it clear what is expected. Sometimes it is spoken in a deep voice.

The last of my Begadan quartet is Susan. Neither Joelle nor d’Angelique have ever spoken in English to me.  I am not sure if they studied English in school but aren’t comfortable in trying their skill on me or if they never had English in school.  But Susan has had some English and every once in a while, she will throw in the word I am looking for.  When making change if, I can’t remember quarante, she will say “40”.

Recently I was interviewed by a reporter from Sud Ouest which is the Bordeaux regional newspaper of SW France. The interview was published on Christmas day.  It is the only day in the nearly 11 months I have been here that I didn’t buy a paper.  The next morning, I went to Chez Joelle looking for yesterday’ s newspaper. The remainders of yesterday are returned when the new papers come. 

Using my Google translator, I explained to Susan what I was looking for.  She broke into a smile and told me she had seen it, since one of the regulars, Jean-Denis had brought it into the store and she had read the story of my coming to Civrac.

I ask if she could ask Jean-Denis to sell me his copy. Today as I came in to get my coffee d’Angelique was reading the story standing at the counter.  When she was finished, she offered it to me.  When I asked “Combien?” she indicated that it was for me to take.

This quartet of Begadan start my day with beauty and humanity and a warm style that sets the tone for the day.  Although the mask changes the interaction, the humanity comes through in these short interactions.

Once I asked Susan what vin blanc I should use in order to cook my mussels.  She pointed me to a little green bottle on the shelf I never would have seen. “La Villageoise Vin Blanc.”  I get my refills there every time. I have never seen it in the huge Carrefour in Lesparre but then, there is no Susan to ask.

  I am hooked on Chez Joelle. It makes me smile even if it rains. The weather here is very much like Seattle, so I feel quite at home.   

2 April 2022 Campaign Season Begins

Today in my commune of 661 souls the 12 pictures of the Presidential candidates for the Presidency of France sprouted on sign boards in th...