Tuesday, October 20, 2020

What is Limace? Where is Limace?

17 Octobre 2020

As we continue our exploration of the granularity of life as the epidemic rolls on I thought it would be good to review the recent past in my tiny world.

On 22 Aout with great fanfare I decided to create a garden in my backyard.  I went to the local garden store, Le Clerc and purchase a beautiful green glazed pot. I bought a bag of potting soil and 6 Brusselles Chou plants. I wrestled all this into my little Twingo.  I would have bought a bigger pot but my car is too small.

I drove home and wrestled the pot and soil to my tiny back yard and finally planted the Brusselles Chou.  I chose them because it was Aout and I expected to be here through the fall until election so I expected some sprouts before I left for the US.

Everyday begins in the same way for me. I water the raspberries, grape vines , the flowers in the pots at the front of the house and fill my bucket to take water  to my goat herd. Now I had a new group to take care of, the Brusselles Chou. 

Four five weeks I diligently watered them but I began to notice there seemed to be no growth. In fact I could see that something was munching on my beautifully chou. As a consequence they were not growing any bigger than the day I bought them .

If you don’t understand something you see ask a local for advice. I asked my friendly neighbor Edmond who took a quick look and pronounced, with authority, “Limace.”

He speaks French and I speak English but we communicate.  He saw a snail on my raspberries and with hand gestures, told me that it was related to escargot without the shell. In a burst of brilliance I thought of my translator. “Limace is a terrestrial mollusk without a shell but has a protective slime covering is body.”  Get the picture yet.

Some how Seattle slugs have emigrated back to France. He suggested some local chemical but my mind flashed back to my Montlake backyard where my mother was placing jar lids of beer out for the slugs to imbibe. I can’t imagine my mother buying a sixpack but there was the beer.

With that thought in mind I went to my reefer and got a bottle of La Le’ge’re, a local favorite of non wine-drinking French people and Slugs. I had saved a sardine can and so I filled it with beer and placed it near my chou. The next morning 2 slugs were draped over the edge of the can and since then my chou have begun to grow.

Seattle and France are very close together. We both have La limace.  It is a small world.      

2 April 2022 Campaign Season Begins

Today in my commune of 661 souls the 12 pictures of the Presidential candidates for the Presidency of France sprouted on sign boards in th...