Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Q 36 More Granularity: The French Bureaucracy

We have a mad president who believes in border walls. He learned nothing from the Great Wall of China’s failure to keep the Mongols out.  The EU has succeeded in creating an essentially borderless Europe through the Shengen Area agreement. Brexiteers and their ilk want to recreate borders to keep out those they don’t like because of their color or culture or language.  Raw nationalism is in the area so wherever you go you bump into it.
When you come to France you don’t need a visa if you are planning to stay less than 90 Days. I planned to stay for 60 days so I never got a visa. When the epidemic came the question was “should I go home or stay here”.  I have wonderful 975 square foot apartment with a view of the Seattle port and Mount Rainier from my breakfast table or living room in a 6 floor co-op apartment Building.  My French maison is a three bed-room house in a tiny village in the middle of the Medoc wine area northwest of Bordeaux.  I sensed quarantine coming so I had to choose and I chose to stay in France.
I have great food, good wine everywhere and miles of untraveled roads to walk along to get my exercise. 
But I was supposed to leave after 90 days.  Recently the French government announce a 90 extension for all visitors. So now I’m legal until the 16 th of June.  The future is coming. It is not here yet. 

2 April 2022 Campaign Season Begins

Today in my commune of 661 souls the 12 pictures of the Presidential candidates for the Presidency of France sprouted on sign boards in th...