Saturday, May 9, 2020

Q 50 Touch

As I walk through the vineyards awakening from the winter, my mind turns to the clouds which makes me think of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Although you may not have been in Rome, most everyone has seen the Michelangelo scene of God touching the finger of Adam, creating the humanity of human beings. This an iconic image that is everywhere in the Western world.  As I am walking alone through the vines, I long for the touch of another human being.
Quarantine or social isolation is most difficult for me and others because we can not touch or hold or caress those closest to us: lovers, sons and daughters, parents, grandchildren and on and on the list goes. Intellectually we understand why the isolation is necessary whether it is in a Covid-19 case or just an ICU after some medical procedure.   
Usually we think there is a time limit on the prohibition, but there is no end in sight for this epidemic because we don’t know what the virus will do next. We fear a second wave, but we don’t even know when, or if, it will come. It is like a thief in the night that disturbs our sleep. How can we cope with endless estrangement from human touch?
My little village has several meetings about how to reopen the primary school. How do you enforce social isolation in children who are interacting physically with one another? Everyone who is or has been a parent knows that each school year brings an unending string of sniffles and coughs as children bring to school or home, whatever they have come in contact with.
Imagine being a teacher and unable to put a hand on a child’s shoulder to encourage or comfort a child. Which then brings up the whole subject of learning on-line.  This is not a panacea because again, you have social distancing that makes it hard to ask questions or to judge whether the answer given was satisfactory. Anyone who has spent 5-6 hours a day staring at a computer screen on Zoom feels a little detached.
We have five senses by which we take in information: touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight.  I once had an intense discussion with a violinist about which sense I would miss most.  We only talked about seeing and hearing. The other senses are primitive and useful perhaps in other times. I took the position that eyesight would be the biggest loss, but she insisted that hearing loss was the worst. She pointed out to me that the process of hearing is done in milliseconds with no chance to rehear the sound. Sight, on the other hand, allows us to refer back to the subject to see if what we thought we saw was in fact true. Was the sound “in tune” is decided instantly but “is it green or blue” can be reviewed. Watching old people who are deaf shows the isolation they feel and retreat into unless they get hearing aids.
I thought about that conversation and I think we both missed touch. We say, “That touched me” about both things we hear and see. Maybe we say that because it reaches out deepest level of understanding. I’ve read stories of people who are in solitary confinement who develop relationships with mice or other creatures.  I now understand better people who live solitary lives and relate to birds and plants. As I have talked to people about this ache in my soul they send me all kinds of interesting information.  The German Psychiatric Association has a message on-line: “We are flooded with calls. During Quarantine it is completely normal if you talk with walls, flowers and some other items. Please only call us when they are talking with you.”  It is hard to tell if it is tongue-in-cheek but lots of people tell me how much they miss touch of a Human being.
In a totally unrelated conversation my brother and I got to talking about how we surviving the lock down and he surprised me by saying, “I miss touch.” He is an extraordinary dancer, especially in Contra and Irish set dancing where the dancers are touching one another all the time as they do intricate steps, taking the lead from one of the partners. As I thought about this, I thought of an old Joke in the world of religion.
The religious leader was asked if having intimate relations while standing” up was acceptable. The emphatic answer was “NO”.  The questioner asked for a rational for that response and was told, “Because it would lead to dancing.”
The next question is “When can we touch?” Will we resume shaking hands, or will the French and other Europeans resume kissing on the cheek? I look forward to the day when I can give a hug again to someone I care about.
As I was walking, I was reminded of our basic animal nature by a growling dog I met. A neighbor yelled at the dog in French, so I don’t know what he said.   The dog slunk away with its tail between its legs.
The next day I met the dog and he growled. I yelled at him and he slunk away.  The dog lives around the corner from me and as returned home from my walk the dog followed me at a distance. On instinct, I summoned the dog in a quiet friendly voice. He came to me and let me pet him and wanted to follow me into my house. It seemed like he needed me to touch him and I needed to touch him for my soul needed a touch.

2 April 2022 Campaign Season Begins

Today in my commune of 661 souls the 12 pictures of the Presidential candidates for the Presidency of France sprouted on sign boards in th...