Friday, March 20, 2020

Q 4 Decision Day

Should I escape isolation in rural France and enter Isolation in my apartment on QA Hill in Seattle? Donald says, “Come home now or plan to stay away indefinitely.” I’ve seen on CNN the marvelous planning made for American’s re-entry at JFK.
 
Why come back?  Safety would be the first reason.  My own home in a rural French village is probably as safe as my apartment in a Co-op in Seattle with 45 other residents, many of whom are older like me.  There are the same logistical problems in Seattle that there are in the Medoc region. But I am more secluded from access to the virus here than there.

A second factor in returning is the journey itself.  Two long and one short plane flights present their own problems with recycled air with perhaps a virus carrier or two, in the mix of passengers. Add to that, the chaos of three airport experiences in Paris, Chicago and Seattle and you don’t have a reason to choose that way to spend 2-3 days. If the SST had ever flown from Paris to Seattle it might seem like a positive option.

What’s positive about staying here? :  My own Home and miles of backroads to walk in the spring.  Just yesterday I saw the first buds on the grape vines, so spring is almost here. Food is easy to get in small shops within a 5 kilometres radius. It is 18-20 degrees C and now we are having sunshine.  The Carrefore Market is like the Ballard Market and has everything, even toilet paper. It is 6.5 kilometres away, closer than COSTCO to my apartment.

Isolation is the biggest problem for me.  I can’t see you or talk to you, but time and space are intellectual concepts.  If I were home, I couldn’t visit you or hug my daughter and her husband or my granddaughter which means there is no difference between being 6-8 miles away in Seattle and being 5154 miles in Bordeaux. The platforms on the internet like What’s App shrink the distance dramatically.  I remember when I went to Ghana in 1961. A letter took at least 2 weeks to make a one way trip.

Getting sick is a subject that one must think about since this is an infectious disease epidemic. The French health care system is at least equal to ours.  My biggest handicap is my lack of facility in French.  I’m getting better.  I’m about up to a refugee level who has been stranded in a country for 6 months. Necessity is the mother of invention. I have two good French friends, Corrinne and Guy, who guide me and fill in the gaps.

The other day Corrinne called and said, “Don’t go shopping.  I’m going so give me your list and I’ll do it for you.”  Almost simultaneously, Guy arrived with the form I need to have in my pocket if I leave the house.  It spells out what I am out of the house to do.  With friends like them I will survive.

This a surreal time for the world.  All the givens are up for grabs. I feel lucky to have relatively good options.  Two of my Democratic friends have already died in Seattle, both over 65.   That's in a town with the best health care system and practitioners. Keep safe, wash your hands and I'll be back soon.    

2 April 2022 Campaign Season Begins

Today in my commune of 661 souls the 12 pictures of the Presidential candidates for the Presidency of France sprouted on sign boards in th...